Embrace the joy of family bonding with a memorable day of fun-filled activities. Celebrate your family’s special connection!
Plan Your Own Family Fun Day
Family Fun Month kicks off annually on August 1st. August works well as a time to hit reset and assess where you are as a family with the upcoming school year ahead and right before the busyness of the holiday season.
For years we’ve used these family bucket lists to create fun activities all year long, but now that my kids are older, I would love to revisit the lists and see what they want to continue and what we should add.
I think a great way to kick this off would be to plan one day of family fun, where we include planning for future fun together and getting everyone’s input on vacations and family nights at home.
Try a “YES” Day
One great way to have a family fun day is to use the concept of a YES Day from the movie that recently came out on Netflix. After we watched it, my kids were ready to have one of our own, and I always promised we’d get around to it, but I never fulfilled my end of that promise…
The concept of a YES Day is that you as parents have to say “yes” to everything your kids want to do for 24 hours. You can create a few rules before the day such as the ones mentioned in the movie:
- The YES Day has to be earned, so do your chores and finish your homework.
- You can’t ask to do anything dangerous or illegal, obviously.
- You’ll each have a budget and you can’t ask to travel more than 20 miles from home.
- Above all, have fun!
In the movie, they put a goal for the end of the month as long as the kids make good grades and keep up with chores.
Ideas for Your Family Fun Day
If planning a YES Day is not something you’re ready for, then begin by asking for activity ideas from your family members. To decide on one, you can vote or pull one out of a hat.
- Amusement park
- Water park
- Botanical gardens
- Movie theater
- Mini Golf
Extend the Celebration
In addition to planning your activities for the day, make sure to plan fun family bonding activities for the rest of the month as well as get everyone’s input for what they’d like to do over the next year.
Plan the Month
What are some reoccurring traditions or activities you would like to include in your month?
- Family Game Night (let someone pick the game each week)
- Family Movie Night (pizza, popcorn, and a movie)
- Saturday Morning Family Time (go to the park, bike ride, farmer’s market, garage sales)
- Weekly Meal Traditions (Taco Tuesday, Sunday lunch with friends, Muffin Monday)
- Try a new place every month or rotate who picks a monthly outing
Plan the Year
It helps to think seasonally or plan by quarters. Additionally, look at your school, work, and church calendars. What fun events can you add to the calendar now and enjoy later? Then fill in the months that are looking bare with ways to connect as a family.
- Summer vacation
- Spring Break
- Holiday breaks
- Mission trips
- Retreats and conferences
- Family reunions
- Festivals and special events
- Holiday traditions
- Movie release dates
You Might Also Like…
If you schedule an annual planning day, then you can be more intentional in how you spend time as a family year-round. Not only will you connect more often, but you’ll also have fun while doing it!
Before you go, read even more posts like this here:
- The Ultimate Family Bucket List Ideas for Fall Printable
- Creating Family Goals for the New Year
- Create New Family Traditions with These Holiday Worksheets for Kids
- 14 Service Projects for Kids and Families
- Raising Your Kids on Hope Through Positive Parenting
Happy Family Fun Month!
If you sign up here, then you can access my FREE Printable Library + receive 20% off your first purchase!