Apply note-taking skills from your school years to your Bible, whether you’re a historian, artist, action taker, summarizer, or list maker.
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
TAKING NOTES IN YOUR BIBLE
Perhaps you are more of an organizer than an artist, more logical than imaginative. Maybe you enjoy finding patterns in repeated words and phrases rather than analyzing genealogies. Or maybe a character study or researching a specific theme appeals to you.
I happen to be a mixture of all these things, never being fully satisfied to stay put in one area. But no matter what draws you in, the important thing is that you find what lights you up and gets you into the Word on a regular basis.
SUPPLIES FOR BIBLE NOTE-TAKING
I always like to be able to find an excuse to organize something into a better, more productive system, and my Bible is no different. Get motivated with these supplies:
- Highlighters – for color-coding different categories or zooming in on a passage that speaks to you
- Books of the Bible Tabs – for maneuvering your way quickly through the Bible, also another method for color-coding books of the Bible
- Pens that don’t bleed – a must!
- Colored pencils – for illustrating
- Small pads of paper – for extra insights to slip in between pages
- A printer – for any website information you research such as Bible maps
- Bible study resources: topical Bible resources, books and workbooks, Bible diagrams
DO YOU HAVE TO BE AN ARTIST TO USE A BIBLE JOURNAL?
No! While I can appreciate the trend to write out one verse on a page of your Bible in the margin and illustrate it with watercolors and specialized pens, I feel like that turns my Bible into more of a sketchbook and not quite what I’m going for in my Bible study.
My approach to note-taking varies, and doodling is only one type of way to help me study the text.
Just as each person is gifted with their own learning styles, we can apply what worked for us in our school days to how we can more effectively study the Bible.
This is your Bible. Make it personalized. Flip through each and every page and work your way through the thing.
“For the Word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints an marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” – Hebrews 4:12
WHAT KIND OF NOTE TAKER ARE YOU?
We all took notes in school, but over time we learned ways to do it in a way that actually helped us retain the information. Maybe you were a doodler, a paraphraser, a connection maker.
If you’re like me, you’re a mixture of a few, but see which one resonates with you the most and get started on that one.
1. THE HISTORIAN
You love learning about history and cultures. Maps and diagrams are your favorite tools.
2. THE SUMMARIZER
You like to simplify what you read in order to break it down into manageable parts. The no-bleed pen is your favorite tool.
3. THE LIST MAKER
You spend time organizing things and creating to-do lists. Books of the Bible tabs are your go-to tool.
4. THE ACTION TAKER
5. THE ARTIST
You appreciate a good visual to help you make sense of text. Your favorite tools are colored pencils.
START YOUR BIBLE NOTE-TAKING TODAY!
- Like to highlight? Look for repetition in Genesis 1 and Psalm 150.
- Like to circle? Find descriptions of who God is in Psalm 18:1-3.
- Enjoy color coding? Make your way through the book of Luke and highlight each heading that covers a parable (a story Jesus told) or a miracle.
- Love a good quote or perhaps a motivational speech? Take notes on the wisdom of Solomon in Proverbs 10-22 and Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
I hope this encourages you to dig deeper into your Bible study today. Not sure where to start? I’m creating an entire set of printable outlines for each book of the Bible that you can purchase in my shop:
You can also read more posts on spiritual growth here:
- Choosing a Bible
- 5 Ways Jesus Practiced Self-Care
- How to Navigate the Bible
- Tips on Memorizing Scripture
- Spiritual Gifts
- 10 Spiritual Goals
You’ve got this!
WANT TO LIVE YOUR DAYS WITH MORE INTENTION? SIGN UP HERE TO GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY FREE PRINTABLES: