The book of Job is one that addresses the topic of suffering, even among those who are righteous. I help you understand what God has to say in this printable summary.
THE RANDOM BOOK OF JOB IN THE BIBLE
So here we are chugging along in chronological order, and then there’s the book of Job. No one’s really sure where this book fits into the main story of the Bible, but traditionally, it follows the book of Esther. Historically, it is thought to come after Genesis around the year 1440 BC (during the wilderness wanderings).
However, the characters and setting are completely different than any that we’ve studied in the previous books. Job takes place in “the land of Uz”, which is located around the Mesopotamian region.
Job not only tells the story of a man who undergoes tremendous suffering even though he is not wicked, it highlights a few extra characters in it’s pages. The book of Job gives us a bit of insight into who Satan is, the role of angels and even mentions a random sea beast a few times called Leviathan.
HOW COULD GOD ALLOW THIS?
Job is a tough read the first time through. I struggled with the concept that God was the one that suggested Satan consider Job, not the other way around. But if you dig deeper into the heart of the story and study further in your Bible about who God is, you have to remember two things:
- God is God! He is not another mortal to be corrected—he makes his own rules, and knows things that we can’t possibly fathom. In this lesson we have to learn reverance and humility. Yes God loves us, but we also need to be reminded that he is not our equal, he is our creator.
- God is good! He may not always do things that make sense to us, but the book of Job teaches us the lesson that God doesn’t always allow pain and suffering as a result of sin, but often uses it as a way to grow and change. If you let it, every hard thing in your life can transform you into a better person—a more giving, kind, forgiving, understanding, compassionate person. The person God created you to be in the first place!
I’m not going to lie and pretend that the book of Job completely makes sense to me. It doesn’t! But that’s why we study the Bible. To learn and grow and understand who God is so that we can become more of who we were put on this earth to be.
So if you’re struggling through a Biblical concept, it’s ok! Keep studying and make sure you remember that each story needs to be reflected on in the context on the coming Messiah. God redeems all people in the New Testament! He has a plan and redemption is coming! Be joyful friend, this is good news!
THE BOOK OF JOB IN THE BIBLE PRINTABLES
Open up your Bible, read through Job and print out these visual notes to guide you as you read. I’ve taken all the confusing stuff and simplified it for you. Nothing on these pages is there to take up space. Even the top doodles are a way to help you retell the story in your own words!
You can order these in my shop:
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
So a few years ago, I made this Old and New Testament Summary Printable, and now I’m working my way through each book of the Bible! To get the rest of the printables, check out my Timeline Bundles for the best deal:
For more Biblical history, check out these other posts:
- Genesis Study
- 1 & 2 Chronicles Notes
- Ezra & Nehemiah Printables
- Study the Bible with these Book of Esther Printables
- Understanding the Old Testament Timeline
You’ve got this!
WANT TO LIVE YOUR DAYS WITH MORE INTENTION? SIGN UP HERE TO GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY FREE PRINTABLES: