Read through the life of Jesus after his birth in Bethlehem to his ministry, death and resurrection in this Easter Story activity for kids!
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure for details.
TEACHING THE EASTER STORY TO YOUR KIDS
We spend a lot of time focusing on the birth of Jesus in December, but when Easter rolls around, simply jumping to Jesus’ resurrection leaves a lot overlooked.
While I hope I do a good job throughout the year, I think that similar to an Advent calendar, it would be helpful to my kids to teach the life of Jesus, not just his birth, death and resurrection.
A few years ago I found out about Resurrection Eggs, which were a cute idea, in that you open one egg each night and take out some sort of token to represent what you’re reading. This cutesy little exercise soon backfired and I was dealing with topics I wasn’t ready to address to my toddler. The story only covered Jesus’ death and resurrection, so half of the eggs were filled with things like a nail, whip, crown of thorns…
There’s a time and place to have these discussions with your kids about the realities of what happened to Jesus, but I felt like the purpose of the eggs turned into a dark guilt trip for kids. So, not to skip over the importance of the crucifixion, but if you’re trying to teach littles about the Bible, we certainly don’t need to go into details like the brutal mistreatment of women in the Old Testament and the beheading of Goliath after David defeats him with a slingshot.
Plus I want to emphasis the importance of Jesus’ life, not just the beginning and “end” of his story. Learning how he lived day to day and how he treated people will help them understand the why of the cross. It brings even greater joy when they hear about his resurrection!
COUNTDOWN TO EASTER
So I’ve created an 18 day countdown to Easter that you can use with your children this year. You can read a story each night or do them on your own schedule. After you read the story, hang up a matching ornament on an Easter story tree just like you would at Christmas. I found this cute one a few years ago, but here is one on Amazon I love as well:
Each ornament has a picture that goes with the passage from the Bible. Here is an overview of the stories covered and their excerpts:
- Jesus is Born (Luke 2:1-21)
- Jesus in the Temple as a Boy (Luke 2:41-52)
- Jesus Baptized (Matthew 3:13-17)
- Jesus Tempted (Matthew 4:1-11)
- Jesus’ 12 Apostles (Luke 6:12-16)
- Jesus’ Miracles (Luke 5:12-26)
- Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:1-16)
- Jesus’ Parables (Luke 8:4-15)
- Jesus Walks on Water (Matthew 14:22-33)
- Palm Sunday (Matthew 21:1-11)
- Jesus Anointed (Matthew 26:6-13)
- The Last Supper (Luke 22:14-23)
- Judas Betrays Jesus (Luke 22:47-53)
- Jesus’ Trial (Luke 23:1-25)
- Jesus Crucified (Luke 23:26-56)
- Jesus’ Resurrection (Luke 24:1-12)
- Jesus Visits People (Luke 24:13-35)
- Jesus’ Ascension (Luke 24:36-53)
Included in the set are 18 color ornaments and 18 black and white in case your kids want to color their own. You can also print it as many times as you want if each kids wants their own tree!
You can read the verses on the ornaments as you go, or for young kids, I recommend using a children’s Bible and working your way through Jesus’ entire life. I love the Beginner’s Bible for toddlers through elementary school kids.
ORDER YOUR EASTER STORY TREE SET
Your purchase includes:
- 4 pages of ornaments
- 18 color
- 18 black and white
I recommend cardstock for printing, but it’s not required. Poke a hole in the x and thread string (or for a shortcut use paper clips!)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
I love creative ways to teach kids about the Bible and I look forward to sharing more of these with you this year. For more posts like this, check out:
- March: Print this 31 Day Bible Study on Jesus’ Ministry
- Spring Bucket List Printable for the Entire Family
- Teach Your Kids Gratitude this Thanksgiving
- 8 Reasons Why Kids Need Routine
- Teach Your Kids Responsibility with this Chore Bingo
He is risen!
WANT TO LIVE YOUR DAYS WITH MORE INTENTION? SIGN UP HERE TO GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY FREE PRINTABLES: