Quarantining with Kids: Parents have a unique challenge during this time. I offer some encouragement and tips.
SO THIS WEEK’S BEEN…DIFFERENT.
It started out fun with spring break and a family trip to New Mexico, but as soon as we arrived, my Lyme flare up got out of control and I spent most of the trip sitting in the car watching the kids play or laying around our rental.
We arrived home last Wednesday and I’ve been using my walker and been bed ridden ever since. That day Trump declared the Coronavirus pandemic a national emergency and my doctor advised my family to self-quarantine.
So with that being said, I know this will pass, but life is just plain hard right now.
HOW’S EVERYONE DOING OUT THERE??
I know I’m not the only one stressing out—so many in the medical field are still having to work even though they are fearful as well. There are parents who don’t know who will watch their kids, and high schoolers worried about graduation. The sick and elderly are at high risk, people can’t get back in the country, and DISNEY WORLD IS CLOSED!
And then I remember:
TIPS ON QUARANTINING WITH KIDS
While I can’t fix these problems, I can offer a bit of encouragement:
- Pray with confidence and hope, not doom and gloom. Trust that the God who created you knows what you need in this moment, and he wants to hear from you.
- Remember, just like raising kids, everything is a phase–this will pass. Just take it one day at a time. You’ve got this!
1. CREATE A ROUTINE
Make time for what your family needs and write out a basic routine for the kids to follow each day. You can print my template here.
2. HOMESCHOOL, BUT KEEP IT SIMPLE
Pick a few things to do each day. Don’t try to fit them all in so that your kids are stressed out, but stay at a pace where they’re learning without realizing it! If your kid loves worksheets, use them. If not, there are tons of other creative ways to teach.
- READING: Read books together, work through a chapter book, or have quiet reading time
- SCIENCE: Take advantage of all the free programs being offered and go on a virtual field trip!
- SOCIAL STUDIES: Have your kids FaceTime, send texts, and email friends and family
- WRITING: Decorate and keep a daily journal on what they’re feeling
- SPELLING: Word search, crossword, have a spelling bee, play scrabble
- MATH: Play cards, dot to dots, games online, flashcards
- PE: Get outside, play catch, ride bikes, go on a walk, exercise in the house
- FINE ARTS: Legos, painting, cooking, learning an instrument, woodworking, crafts
3. SCHEDULE FAMILY TIME
Schedule family time?! YES! Even while quarantining with kids!
Family time is about creating intentional moments during the day to connect so that you are present with one another. Create an ongoing movie marathon where you work your way through a series or theme each night or rotate through old board games and puzzles.
4. GIVE EACH OTHER SPACE
In saying that, it’s equally important that you are intentional in taking breaks from each other as well. Have older kids that don’t nap? Schedule a daily “quiet time” where everyone has to play quietly in their rooms with the door closed for an hour.
5. OPEN YOUR BIBLE
Whether it’s as a family, part of your school lessons, or during your quiet time, use this opportunity to dig into your Bible. Don’t have one or not sure how to start studying your Bible? Check out my post which takes you through the basics.
PRINT THIS FREE PLAY CHART
This chart has been so helpful for keeping the kids entertained when I need a break. I post it on the fridge, and they cover up the independent activity they choose with a magnet. Read more in my post: Printable Play Chart for Stay at Home Moms or download here:
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Then check out these posts on activities for kids:
- Ultimate Family Spring Bucket List Printable
- Service Projects You Can Do Together As a Family
- How to Throw a First Day of Summer Party To Bring Closure To Your Child’s School Year
- The Ultimate Printable Family Summer Bucket List – Quarantine Edition
- 15 Ways to Celebrate Dad This Father’s Day
You’ve got this!
WANT TO LIVE YOUR DAYS WITH MORE INTENTION? SIGN UP HERE TO GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY FREE PRINTABLES: