*This post on winter decor contains affiliate links.
OUR MONTHLY TUBS
The winter blues are a real thing, meaning many people get depressed during this time of year while we’re stuck hiding away under our blankets. This is partly due to the lack of being outdoors and reaping the benefits of good ol’ healthy sunshine.
For someone who suffers from chronic illness or is bedridden, this routine of staying indoors can mimic a similar outcome. One way I found to combat my overwhelm and depression, when I’m bedridden with my unpredictable disease, is to create an atmosphere of fun and anticipation in my home—and recycle it at the beginning of the month.
I am now going on a year and a half of climbing in the attic (or having my husband do it) on the first of the month, finding my bin labeled with the name of that month and having my kids unload the goodies.
TUB ITEM IDEAS
I always keep the following items in my monthly bins and add to them each year as needed:
- FRONT PORCH DECOR such as holiday wreaths, flowers in watering cans or a basket of fake pumpkins
- SIGNS like “It’s Fall Y’all!” and “Hello Winter”
- SEASONAL FLORALS including pink flowers at Easter and red berries at Christmas
- BOOKS FOR KIDS based on a theme like bugs, a holiday, or a season
- THEMED FAMILY MOVIES such as scary for Halloween or adventure for summer
- HOLIDAY CRAFTS including stickers, window clings, Bingo, foam cutouts, pompom crafts, paint by number, and coloring books
- ROOM DECOR like blankets, pillows, twinkle lights, fake snow, or bunny figurines
- KITCHEN ITEMS such as a Christmas dishtowel, pumpkin pie plate, or summer serving trays
The kids love packing up and opening the new box, looking over old crafts from the previous season they completed or remembering a favorite book that had been packed away.
TRANSITION FROM CHRISTMAS TO WINTER DECOR
Research shows that planning a vacation brings just as much (if not more!) happiness as actually going on the trip…so I figure, the anticipation of the holiday surely brings as much happiness as actually celebrating it.
We find an excuse to celebrate something every month so that no tub is deemed “lame” (as my son would say). Here in Texas where we rarely receive any snow, the kids look forward to our January tub when I pull out a giant bag of fake snow and stick it in all our planters to transform our living room into a winter wonderland.
We take down all the red decorations from Christmas, pack up the Santas and dress down a few trees with white lights and flocked branches. We change out Santa pictures with snow day photos to transition from Christmas to winter decor.
SHOP THESE ONLINE DEALS:
This year I raided all of the stores’ Christmas clearance sections that had anything related to snow or gold from New Year’s and found quite a few goodies! I’m sure those little houses will start showing up year-round in my living room. Check out what winter decor is still in stores at these links:
- Target Holiday Clearance Items
- Michael’s Clearance Section
- JoAnn Fabric’s Clearance Merch
- World Market’s Store-wide Clearance
- At Home’s Christmas Clearance
BEFORE YOU GO…
To add more fun to your winter months, check out my Winter Bucket List and continue the fun all month long with snow activities and all things comfy-cozy!