Learn about the rebellion of the Israelites in the book of Numbers and its lead-up to entering the Promised Land in this visual printable.
THE BOOK OF NUMBERS
While the book of Numbers is named so because of the census recordings taken place among the Israelites, the majority of the book is focused on the people’s rebellion.
The journey out of Egypt was meant to lead them directly to the Promised Land (Canaan), but through their continued disobedience, the Israelites are punished with 40 years of wandering the desert instead.
Before this printable study, I found myself skipping over the book of Numbers. But after reading through this detailed book in the context of the previous three, I found myself really enjoying it!
GIVE ME THE FACTS
The overall story is that 12 spies (1 from each tribe) explore Canaan for 40 days and report back on what they found. God told them that this was the land he would give them, but when they returned, their report was less than comforting.
10 of the spies said that it was not safe, while 2 spies (Joshua and Caleb) said that despite what they saw, the land was wonderful and to trust the Lord.
The people rebelled against the Lord and he punished them with 40 more years of wandering the desert and no hope of conquering Canaan in their lifetime. Only Caleb, Joshua and the Israelite descendants would make it there.
Apparently Moses was still included in this promise, but later he disobeys God’s orders and is himself banned from entering the Promised Land as well.
In the middle of these events are a few side stories you should notice, such as:
- Men being “swallowed” up by the earth because of their rebellion (Chapter 16)
- The Israelites are bitten by snakes and look at a bronze snake statue for healing (Chapter 21)
- Moses’ sister Miriam is afflicted with leprosy because of her jealousy (Chapter 12)
- Special Nazarite vow guidelines later taken by the prophet Samuel and judge Samson (Chapter 6)
- Balaam and his talking donkey (Chapters 22-24)
- The first account of women acquiring land (Chapters 27, 36)
Don’t overlook this important book in the Old Testament! There is growth, forgiveness and justice all throughout it. For help understanding the basics, use this Numbers printable to help you organize your thoughts as you go:
NUMBERS VISUAL OUTLINE
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
You can order all my Bible Timelines in my shop.
For the background of events leading up the wilderness wandering, read these:
- Genesis Printable
- Exodus Printable
- Leviticus Printable
- Understanding the Old Testament Timeline
- Navigating the Events of the New Testament
You’ve got this!
WANT TO LIVE YOUR DAYS WITH MORE INTENTION? SIGN UP HERE TO GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY FREE PRINTABLES: