*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. This post is for general information and educational purposes only. Please see the Disclosures & Disclaimers page for further information.
ARTIST, AUTHOR OR TEACHER?
When I was a child, I wanted to be an author, an artist and a teacher. I always selected art courses over all electives, and was an early reader. I’ve kept a journal since I could write and went to college with the intention of becoming an art teacher. Two years in, I realized that my job would be something I’d have to fight to even exist in public schools. My professors informed me that to be an elementary art teacher, more than likely, I would be assigned to a district and push a cart from school to school. Not my idea of fun.
So halfway through, I switched majors to elementary education, and did everything I could to implement my passion for art into the classroom.
I never stopped writing and creating, so a few years ago, I decided, why limit myself to traditional ways of teaching? The world of blogging, and online shops such as Etsy, have opened up such a huge creative outlet for me. Now I’m discovering amazing sites such as CreativeLive, Skillshare and Teachable that bring the classroom to you!
MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL
I’m starting a video series where I’ll walk you through some basic art tools I use and love, and give you tips on how to get started as a beginner, because we could all use some creativity, inspiration and motivation to do another day in quarantine.
Here is my upcoming plan for the Art Tool Basics Series featuring tools, tips and project ideas:
- Drawing Pencils
- Acrylic Paint
- Watercolor Paint
- Gouache Paint
- Oil and Chalk Pastels
- Drawing Pens and Markers
- Mixed Media
You can purchase all of the tools mentioned in the video here:
- Ticonderoga Pencils: https://amzn.to/39CiOyU
- Artist’s Loft Drawing Pencils Starter Set: https://amzn.to/30M5VOJ
- White Vinyl Eraser: https://amzn.to/3f47bBV
- Kneaded Eraser: https://amzn.to/3f31zIb
- Mechanical Eraser: https://amzn.to/3jGamTK
- Metal Sharpener: https://amzn.to/2D5hAA3
- Blending Tools: https://amzn.to/3f31KDl
- Compass/Protractor/Ruler Set: https://amzn.to/39x5Ylb
- Piccadilly Sketchpad: https://amzn.to/2X0MZe1
- Strathmore Drawing Paper: https://amzn.to/3f3SMFQ
- Colored Pencils: https://amzn.to/3hF50q8
- Sketching Made Easy book: https://amzn.to/3hAi53Z
- How to Draw Modern Florals book: https://amzn.to/3jH37uS
- 50 Ways to Draw Your Beautiful Ordinary Life book: https://amzn.to/3eZrqAx
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Enjoy the video on Drawing Pencil Basics? Over the next few weeks I’ll be covering the basics of other art media, such as using charcoal, watercolor, acrylic, gouache, oil pastels, chalk pastels, and calligraphy. You can subscribe to my YouTube channel to stay tuned to my latest videos.
Have a shop of your own? Let’s connect!