*This post on Charcoal Basics may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. This post is for general information and educational purposes only. Please see the Disclosures & Disclaimers page for further information.
THE BASICS OF CHARCOAL
Charcoal is my favorite art medium to use because I love its diversity and simplicity. Just starting out in the art world? I can’t wait to show you the basics of charcoal!
CREATE A CHARCOAL TOOL CHART
Here are the tools and techniques covered in the video:
- Charcoal Pencil for details and different hues
- Stick Charcoal for covering large sections or shading
- Vine Charcoal for sketching
- Blending Tools for creating dimension
- Kneaded Eraser for highlights
Watch the video for directions and take a look at my sample:
Here are a few sample charcoal drawings I displayed in the video using the techniques mentioned above:
RECOMMENDED CHARCOAL TOOLS
Don’t have any supplies? You can shop for all my favorite charcoal products here:
- Complete Charcoal Drawing Set: https://amzn.to/33q6ZdV
- Charcoal Pencils: https://amzn.to/30maiRq
- Charcoal Sticks: https://amzn.to/30o8mrG
- Vine Charcoal: https://amzn.to/3k7bLD1
- Charcoal Paper: https://amzn.to/2D87qiu
- White Vinyl Eraser: https://amzn.to/3f47bBV
- Kneaded Eraser: https://amzn.to/3f31zIb
- Metal Sharpener: https://amzn.to/2D5hAA3
- Blending Tools: https://amzn.to/3f31KDl
ORDER A CUSTOM CHARCOAL PRINT AT SHOPAMYSENTER
I offer custom drawings from photos. My favorites are house drawings and pet illustrations. You provide the photo, I’ll do the rest! Check out my shop here.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Enjoy the video on using charcoal? Join my Art Tool Series below:
Thanks for watching and happy drawing!